Your anniversary is an important date that gives you an opportunity to celebrate your life together. It gives you a chance to take a breather from responsibilities and work, and mark the day with a celebration that will be remembered for years to come. But how would you reminisce the day if it all becomes a blur under the intoxicating effects of alcohol? This is what makes non-alcoholic and alcohol-free wines the perfect accompaniment for your big day.
If you’re planning to gift alcohol-free wine to your significant other or include NA wines in your celebration, this guide is for you. In the following sections, we’ll discuss everything there is to know about non-alcoholic wines, from the process of making them to some of our finest recommendations. Let’s get started.
What Are Non-Alcoholic Wines?
To explain it in simple terms, non-alcoholic (NA) wine is a type of wine that has little to no alcohol content. It’s essentially everything we love about wines, minus the alcohol. You’ll get the same depth, complexity, and smooth-tasting flavor, without impairing your decision-making skills or experiencing any form of guilt. What’s better is that you’ll be able to enjoy all the health benefits that wine usually has to offer. This is probably the reason why many people around the world have shifted to non-alcoholic wines from traditional alcoholic ones.
When we’re talking about these wines, we often use the terms alcohol-free, non-alcoholic, and de-alcoholized wine interchangeably. But each of these terms has a slightly different meaning (depending on the country you are in). In the United States, wine is considered to be non-alcoholic or de-alcoholized if it doesn’t have more than 0.5% of alcohol by volume. Alcohol-free wines, on the other hand, are those in which the alcohol content has been completely removed (0.0% ABV).
How Are Non-Alcoholic Wines Different From Alcoholic Wines?
The basic difference between non-alcoholic and alcoholic wines has already been established in the previous section. Alcoholic wines contain alcohol, while non-alcoholic wines do not. According to the Food Alcohol Administration (FAA) Act, any wine that contains less than 24% and more than 7% alcohol by volume is considered to be a true wine, while non-alcoholic wines contain less than 0.5% ABV. This alcohol percentage is so much less that it’s impossible to get drunk with non-alcoholic wine. In fact, ripe bananas, yogurt, and fruit juices often contain the same amount of alcohol by volume.
Although there are differences in alcoholic percentages, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic wines start out the same way. After the extraction of grape juices, fermentation is done and finally, the wine is obtained. The only difference is the process of de-alcoholization, in which the alcohol is removed from the wine.
What Are The Benefits Of Drinking Non-Alcoholic Wines?
Here is how you can benefit from shifting to non-alcoholic wines –
1. Lowers blood pressure: The heart health benefits of wines are well known, but most proponents suggest the consumption of half a glass of regular wine to achieve the same benefits. Why? Because alcohol in these wines does not help you in the long run. With alcohol-free wines, you don’t have to watch your quantities. A Harvard research found that alcohol-free red wine has the capacity to lower your blood pressure by increasing the levels of nitric oxide.
2. Lesser calories, sugar, and carbs per glass: If unwinding after work always involves a glass of wine, you should choose NA wine for the purpose. This is because these alcohol-free wines will not affect your weight loss goals. While a typical glass of wine contains around 130 calories, most NA wines are known to contain as few as 10 calories per glass.
3. Improve cholesterol levels: Lowering your LDL levels is important if you want to decrease any risk of health issues and health complications. With non-alcoholic wine, you can enjoy all the cholesterol-fighting benefits of wine, without the alcohol.
Besides this, alcohol-free wine has a wide range of other benefits like improved sleep, better diabetes management, enhanced memory, and greater self-control.
5 Reasons Why You Should Try Non-Alcoholic Wines
1. Feel more social: The social aspect of drinking is something that cannot be ignored. It’s so deeply embedded in our culture that it is difficult to be social without it sometimes. But for those shifting to an alcohol-free lifestyle, NA wines are a great option. You can still feel social and a part of the group, without drinking any form of alcohol.
2. Unwind: If you want to wind down with a glass of wine at the end of the day, there’s nothing better than NA wine. You can still complete your ritual of pouring a glass of wine and enjoying the same taste, without the intoxicating effects of alcohol.
3. Better weight management: As we’ve already stated, NA wines have lesser calories than their alcoholic counterparts. This makes it a better choice for weight management.
4. No hangover: With NA wines, you don’t have to deal with any of the side effects of a hangover that is usually felt with alcoholic beverages.
5. Better sleep: Alcoholic wine might give you the feeling of crashing, but consistent consumption of alcohol is known to affect sleep quality. As you shift to NA wines, you’ll notice that you are able to enjoy better quality sleep.
Gifting Non-Alcoholic Drinks: Benefits Of Avoiding Alcohol
So, now that you know the health benefits of non-alcoholic drinks, it’s evident why they make such excellent gifts for any occasion. By gifting your loved ones a great bottle of non-alcoholic wine, you’ll be promoting a healthier lifestyle. Also, the choices for non-alcoholic drinks are endless, from NA beers, gins, vodkas, whiskeys, botanical spirits, and more. For those who are interested in leading a healthier lifestyle, non-alcoholic drinks as a gift can be quite refreshing. Another great reason for gifting NA drinks is that they can be paired with other gifts too. For instance, you can gift your loved one their favorite bottle of wine (NA version) along with bath soaps, a good book, hand lotion, and more.
Great Alcohol-Free Sparkling Wine Options
Here are some of our recommendations for great NA wine options for gifting –
- Wander + Found Pinot Noir: This well-balanced red gives notes of ripened red fruits and dark currants.
- Wander + Found Rosé: Make any occasion special with this delightfully beautiful rosé wine from Wander + Found.
- Zeero Sangiovese: This Tuscan wine gives you the full experience of drinking an Italian red.
- Noughty Dealcoholized Sparkling Chardonnay: The perfect accompaniment for any occasion, this sparkling chardonnay is vegan, certified organic, and made with 100% chardonnay grapes.
- French Bloom Le Blanc: This wine is the winner of the World Sparkling Wine Awards for 2022, so you know why it is the best accompaniment for any celebration.
Some Things To Keep In Mind
With this, we’ve covered everything there is to know about non-alcoholic and alcohol-free wines. Equipped with this knowledge, you’ll now be able to make the right choice when it comes to choosing a wine for your loved one. With the unlimited choice of NA wines on Better Rhodes, making a selection will not be difficult either.